- This event has passed.
Call for Community Reports and Language Expo
October 31, 2019 - November 2, 2019
Expo and Community Reports Saturday 2 November 2019
Conference 31 October – 2 November
Workshops 30 October
We invite Indigenous community language programs and organizations to submit proposals to showcase and celebrate your community efforts in community language work at this conference. Come to meet other language activists, be inspired, and inspire others in turn!
The conference will celebrate the United Nations’ 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages from a variety of perspectives including policy, education, linguistics, community, and others. People involved in community-based language work from around the globe have been invited to participate in panels, present keynote talks, and share their work and experiences in promoting Indigenous languages. In addition, our partners the American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI), Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival and the Myaamia Center will be offering free workshops on models for language learning, such as the Master-Apprentice Language Learning Program and the Breath of Life Archival Institutes as a model for archive-based language revitalization.
A key part of the conference will be Community Reports and a Language Expo. This will take place Saturday 2 November tentatively from 3 pm – 6 pm.
- Community Reports are 20-minute presentations on community-based efforts to maintain or reclaim their languages.
- The Language Expo will be tables and poster stands where people can exhibit aspects of their programs and show their materials.
Space is limited, so please submit your proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1st and include the following:
- Presenter name
- Names of others sharing in the presentation
- Phone Number:
- Email Address:
- Proposal (select one or both):
- Community Report
- Language Expo
- Brief Summary of What You Will Share (up to 200 words)
- Equipment needed (computer projector, etc.)
- Any other special needs you may have
Accepted proposals will be notified by July 1st.