March 17 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am Pacific Time
Advancing the Interagency Memorandum of Agreement on Native Languages:
Promising Practices & Persistent Barriers
In November 2021, several federal agencies entered into an interagency Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) on Native Languages. This MOA outlines how the agencies will work together and encourage programs and projects to include instruction in and preservation of Native languages. A Native Language Workgroup was established to advance the goals of the MOA to preserve, protect, and promote the rights and freedom of Native Americans to use, practice, and develop their languages. See a full copy of the MOA here: https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/native-american-language-moa-11-15-2021.pdf
- How has the pandemic impacted the language preservation efforts?
- How has virtual learning helped or deterred your language learning/lessons?
- What would help your language preservation efforts be more successful?
- How do you envision your language preservation efforts growing in the next 10-20 years?
- How has the pandemic impacted the behavioral/mental health of language keepers?
- How can technology be used to support language preservation and maintenance?
- What does language preservation and maintenance look like from the COVID-19 recovery effort?
- What are the success stories of language preservation and maintenance during the pandemic?