Contribution by Barbie Janelle Stensgar, Project Coordinator
We live in a time where social media has become an integral part of our daily lives. Social media is now a standard way to share information about our lives, from personal to business. Some of the most popular social media sites for business include Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
As social media becomes more elaborate, we have to learn new skills to keep up. Once upon a time, posting a picture or simple text was enough, but today we are starting to see that to capture the attention of our audiences, we have to do more. Such as using moving images like videos, GIF’s, and Boomerangs to grab the attention of our target audiences and showcase our personality. You will find a list of social media apps in this article that will help boost your social media engagement with your community and target audiences.
- InShot – http://www.inshot.com
- Inshot is a great video editor you can use right from your phone. It allows you to trim clips, change the speed of your footage, add filters, music, and text. You can also flip and rotate footage. This app has some great features and it easy to use.
- Canva – https://www.canva.com
- Canva is great for creating designs utilizing a drag and drop feature. You can choose from already made designs or make your own from scratch.
- Canva has almost every template you can think of from simple social media (all) posts, resumes, e-book, GIFS and so much more.
- Canva has thousands of images and fonts, plus you can upload your own.
- Boomerang – Can be found on Google Play or Apple Store for use with Instagram or Facebook story options.
- Boomerang is a collection of photos that plays back and forth to create a mini-video that replays on a loop.
- Boomerang is great because it’s the perfect balance between a video and image. If you are looking for more engagement but don’t want to make a full video, boomerang is the way to go. With so many images being posted, social media users are showing more interest to something that has movement.
Social Media is based on content, AND when you post. Knowing when your posts will receive the most traffic is important. Below are some prime posting times for audience engagement.
- Studies show the best time for posting on Facebook is Wednesdays at 1 PM and Fridays at 10 AM, in the time zone for your targeted group.
- The best time to post on Instagram is between 2 PM and 3 PM daily. The best day to post on Instagram is Thursday at 3 PM as well as 5 AM, 11 AM, and 4 PM. These times are for the time zone of your targeted audience.
- Prime times to post in Twitter is daily from 11 AM to 1 PM. Twitter is most active on Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 AM, again for the time zone of your targeted audience.
As mentioned above, personalization grabs attention. People want to feel like are getting inside information and getting to know people behind the scenes, personally. One great way to engage with your audience is to introduce you and your team with a “Meet the Team” video. Below are some topic ideas for your videos. These links will provide traditional and non-traditional ideas. To add a cultural twist to the video, including your traditional names, tribal affiliation, reservation you grew up on, how long you have been speaking your language, what inspired you to learn your language, etc.
I have provided examples of these social media posts on the NLCC Cohort Facebook page, so you are able to see a visual of the information I’ve provided. The meet the team videos were completed in In Shot. The creative for the newsletter was created in Canva and the SAM Registration announcement was created on Facebook with the Boomerang option they provide for Facebook Stories.